Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Bihari Tomato Chutney

Bihari Tomato Chutney

From here 

This is the recipe I found in my cookbook "Ruchira -Part 2". I must admit that I haven't eaten authentic Bihari food before. But that didn't stop me to explore and enjoy this new cuisine in my kitchen. I have tasted some Bihari munchies though! I had a colleague in India, who was from Bihar. He used to live in the hostel so he never brought any homecooked meal to work. (By the way, I should mention, that our lunch at work used to be a gastranomic heaven where we tasted food and exchanged/argued/discussed/shared recipes from most of the parts of India!). But around Diwali time, he used to go back to Bihar for 2 weeks holidays and always used to bring some munchies for the whole gang. It was fun trying those delicasies which were refreshingly different. and this guy, had no clue about how to make them so I never could have any of the recipes of those delicious treats. I vaguely remember he used to call them "Pakwaans". But I am not sure if it was just used to refer "the treats" in general or a particular snack.

Well, I hope that with RCI: Bihar, someone may share those crunchy munchies!

Anyway, here's the recipe for Tomato chutney that I have adapted from the cookbook "Ruchira" by Mrs. Kamalabai Ogale. This recipe reminded me of "Methamba" recipe but due to the presence of "Panchphoran", it has a distinct unique flavor.

Bihari Tomato Chutney (serves 4)
Tomato Chutney
Ingredients
4-5 red tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp kalonji seeds
salt to taste
1 tbsp raw cane sugar
1 tsp paprika

Method
1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
2. Add all the seeds. As they splutter, add chopped tomatoes.
3. Stir till they become soft and mushy. Add salt, paprika and sugar.
4. Simmer for 7 minutes till water is mostly eavaporated.
Note
1. Jaggery can be substituted instead of raw cane sugar.
This is my entry for RCI:Bihar. I would like to send this post to Sangeeta at Ghar ka Khana

No comments:

Post a Comment