Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dum Aloo

From here

Bihari Subzi Dum

Just recently, I read about Nalanda university, which is in today's Bihar, which was considered the first global university founded in 427. It survived till 1197. At the Asian Summit meeting, it was discussed about re-building this glorious university once again in its vicinity.

Please read this NY Times article here. (if you are interested!)

I thought it was a coincidence, that I read that article about Bihar, and this time we have this blog event RCI Cuisine - Bihar. It's my first time to participate and I can't wait any longer. I started browsing through my cookbooks and finally found two Bihari recipes from my Marathi cookbook "Ruchira - part 2".

The recipe called for only potatoes, but I modified it adding cauliflower and green peas as well.
Bihari Subzi Dum (Serves 4)
Ingredients
2 Potatoes, cut into big chunks
1 small cauliflower, cut into big florets
1/2 cup green peas
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 tsp dhana-jeera powder, coriander-cumin seed powder
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper powder, preferably freshly ground
2 cloves garlic
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup plain yogurt, whisked
1/4 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
Garnish
1 tbsp Coriander leaves, chopped
Method
1. Grind onions and garlic to a fine paste.
2. Heat oil. Add asafoetida, above paste, bay leaf, turmeric powder, paprika, coriander-cumin seed powder. Fry till the raw smell of onion is gone.
3. Add 1 cup water and salt to taste. Bring to boil.
4. Add all the vegetables. Cover and cook till vegetables are soft but not too mushy.
5. Drizzle whisked yogurt, black pepper powder and garam masala.
6. Switch off the gas and cover.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
This is my entry for RCI:Bihar. I would like to send this post to Sangeeta at Ghar ka Khana
You might also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment